Mold Sampling

If you’re concerned about mold call us for information | 541-469-9513

Every home has mold.

Molds, of which there are thousands of species, are found indoors and outdoors and are part of our natural environment. They have a specific job to do—they break down and digest organic material, and like yeast and mushrooms, are fungi.

What we call mold is best described as a fungus that grows on damp surfaces. A damp surface is required for mold to begin growing indoors. Remove the moisture and growth will stop.

Except for those with health problems, such as asthma or allergies, mold does not typically lead to medical problems. It will cause cosmetic damage to walls and furniture. When left unchecked, it can rot wood, damage drywall and, ultimately, cause structural damage.

Molds are very colorful; they can be pink, green, black, brown, even white. For people with lung disease or compromised immune systems certain molds, which produce mycotoxins, can cause fungal infections or other health problems.

Mold types are impossible to identify visually and must be tested by a lab to be confidently labeled. If you have concerns about mold in your home, see staining you can’t identify, or have moisture problems in your home an initial mold sampling test may be helpful. This is an inexpensive, simple way to learn if there is mold inside your home and if there may be reason for you to be concerned.

For detailed information about mold and how it can affect your health, consult a health professional or your state or local health department.